Saturday, March 24, 2012
We have been working towards improving the modgen to the best of usability and features.
Today we have made a major milestone release with lots of capabilities and features in store.
|Default screen for modgen|
- Package generation now supported for SIP,DIP,CONN and QUAD
- Automatic Name and Description generation for SIP connectors (Berg headers)
- Picture based description of parameters for each package
- DIP type - can be used to make both SMD as well as through hole packages eg. PDIP,SOIC,SSOP,TSSOP,MSOP,SOT23-6
- CONN type - can be used to make dual row header and SMD board to board connectors also
- QUAD type can be used to make QFP,QFN and rectangular packages
- In the QUAD mode the rectangular packages such as CSP,LLCP types generally found in accelerometers can now be generated.
- Automatic GUI adjustments as per the Package have been enabled
- Converter Feature to help Mil to mm and viz. conversion
- Support for Locking type SIP header generation
At present the unit scope for the software is 'mil' reason being Kicad encodes and stores, the co-ordinate and size data in 10s of Mils and hence we re also following the same. The only dependency we found was that this software needs Python 2.7 or higher.
Your suggestions are welcome. We are still trying out some more features that might make this tool even better.
Here is a wish list:
- Integration of Libgen to help in adding the PCB Package association using Footprint wildcards in the library symbols that are generated.
- Optional multi package support for single Schematics library symbol
- Automatic Description and Keyword generation for all the Packages supported in modgen
- IPC-7351 standard footprint generation
- Packages for Mechanical Holes, Testpoints, Fiducials, SOT23-3, and other Passive packages